Wednesday

J.Erika Interviews Artist Friends


WHATS YOUR NAME AND WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

I'm Josh and I live in Greenwich most of the time. I'm from a small town called Newbury originally.

WHATS YOUR ART HUSTLE?

Photography.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DOING IT?
Properly about 4 or so years now although I've had cameras since i was little its always been something I've been into.




WHAT DO YOU LOOK TO FOR INSPIRATION?

I'd say most of my stuff is inspired by vintage photography from the 60's, 70's + 80's, I always want to get blissed out colours and high contrast in my photos. Location's always important as well, think London's such a melting pot: socially, culturally, and architecturally that there's always inspiration for any creative endeavour.






HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR WORK?


Pretty lo-fi most of the time. Film is a lot more fun and unpredictable. Most of the cameras I use are at least 20 years old or are toy cameras that have plastic lens' that have a soft focus. I also approach my photos with a bit of an abstract edge, if i can add something into it to make an otherwise normal photo different such as cross processing the film or doing a multiple exposure I'll do it.

WHAT WOULD YOU CALL YOUR PERFECT DAY?

Would either have to involve food, not getting out of bed and cheesy movies, such as having a day in with my lovely girlfriend Charlie or getting all my friends together and having a BBQ on a sunny day in Greenwich Park.




CONCERNING YOUR ART HUSTLE, WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD?

I saw this interview in Vice magazine with a guy called Jacob Holdt, he did this huge photography documentary book back in the 70's called 'American Pictures' photographing the working classes all over the country. It's absolutely amazing how the grittiness and reality of his photos comes across. So my thoughts are documenting people and places is going to be my next thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment