Tuesday

J.Erika Interviews Artist Friends



WHO ARE YOU AND WHERE ARE YOU FROM?
Ellen Stapleton, from Brisbane Australia.

DEFINE YOURSELF IN 5 WORDS.
Creative, passionate, perfectionist, adventurous, workaholic.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DOING YOUR ART HUSTLE?

I have been creating in one form or another my whole life but I actually started out a musician, I began classical piano when I was 5 and have played a range of different instruments since. It was about 12 years ago when I started taking my art seriously and from then on it was a constant competition between my art and my music. I wanted to immerse myself in one to give it the justice it deserved, but I kept jumping between the two. Eventually my passion for my art completely consumed me and I haven't looked back since.



WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO CREATIVELY? TELL ME WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING ON.
New paintings, murals, band artwork and exhibitions. I am also planning a trip to Nepal for later this year where I will be developing some community mural projects, having an exhibition and immersing myself in the Nepali art scene.


ARE THERE ANY PLACES, EXHIBITIONS, SHOWS, GIGS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TO THAT HAVE INFLUENCED YOU CREATIVELY, OR ANY YOU JUST REALLY LIKED?

My travels are the main source for my inspiration. I have spent time in Nepal, Tibet, Cambodia, Turkey, Morocco and Spain among other places so my mind is very saturated with imagery from around the globe which means I'm never short of inspiration!



WHERE/WHO DO YOU DRAW YOUR INSPIRATION FROM?

I love the work of the artisans from Asia, the Middle East and Europe who created beautifully intricate and extravagant work. Things like Hindu temples, Buddhist paintings, mosques, Islamic art and baroque cathedrals are some of my favourites along with my love for street art and tattoo design.




WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT WHAT YOU DO?
When I'm being creative I always have something to look forward to, It adds excitement, purpose and lots of colour to my life. At the same time it's pretty exhausting because it's not something that I can switch off from, I am constantly working so I have to force myself to actually stop and have some relaxation time... but of course, I wouldn't have it any other way!




Check out more of Ellen's amazing work at
www.ellenstapleton.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment