Saturday

J.Erika Interviews Artist Friends


PASSIONATE. LOVING. CREATIVE. ECCENTRIC. MYSTERIOUS Naomi James from Deptford/Newcross is one individual that stands out in the crowd. 90s, BLACK, ETHNIC, SOFT GOTH, RICK OWENS, GHETTO, POSH is how she describes her own personal style.

“I have so many styles its kinda crazy. I have a different style all the time, one week I would look burberryish, the next I would look like I stepped out of the Fresh Prince of Bel air mate!
Its not good to look dated all the time you have to keep on thinking forward when it comes to style, keep in inventing, keep on remixing to make it original.”


HAVE YOU ANY FAVE ACCESSORIES, CLOTHING THAT YOUR PROUD TO HAVE OR LOVE?

I love haircloths! From an Erykah Badu head wrap to a Geisha Samurai cloth tied around my I’m always rocking something on my head its almost become my trademark look.

“If there was a film to be based around me, it would be super weird, psychological, romantic, comedy, action, adventure thriller!”



She’s always enjoyed ART as a kid, constantly drawing and taking photos with her Polaroid camera. Born into an artistic background having her mother as an artist, and her father a photographer, she began to take photography more seriously at the age of 14-15 when she got her first D-SLR camera.

Her ART HUSTLE is PHOTOGRAPHY.
"Its what I love. Ive been studying fashion for 2 years which has benefited me a lot to explore the art world when it comes to line, texture, space, shape, form and value. This has played a major role when I apply my fashion photography."

CREATIVELY WHATS BEEN UP WITH CHU?
"My portfolio in a nutshell. Shooting shooting shooting. Re-building my Portfolio this Summmer, so I have been networking meeting new people, magazines, bloggers, makeup artists, hair stylists, stylists...the list goes on.


THE CAMERAS.

"I owned my first camera when I was 8 years old it all started from there, then I moved onto playing around with my grandfathers and my dads film cameras, then I moved onto digital. I have so many film cameras! 2 Digital SLR's, cannon 7D and the Nikon D80. When I’m on the move and I see something inspiring. I would use my mobile for future reference also, it's good to document inspiration."


ARE THERE ANY PLACES, EXHIBITIONS, SHOWS, GIGS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TO THAT HAVE INFLUENCED YOU CREATIVELY, OR ANY YOU JUST REALLY LIKED?

I do not get influenced by seeing other peoples work. What influences me is the pure nature of putting different elements together in my head and applying that into a photograph. It depends on angle, light, composition and how you use these things, to make your own, to make a completely INDEPENDENT image of what YOU see. I draw my inspiration from ARCHITECTURE AND SPACE.



LONDON.

London ♥ MY BEAUTIFUL CITY! I’m a londoner, always will be. I would absolutely love to shoot somewhere in the middle east, their over all colour palette and use of detailed patterns rather intrigue me!
Nepal or Tibet, I’ve always wanted to go there...somewhere with rawness and depth ...somewhere super UN-artificial...

WHAT IS IT THAT MAKES YOU LOVE WHAT YOU DO?
The beauty in capturing time. There’s so many things to do with photography, the ideas you can produce from it are endless. Photography is a way to make something ordinary extraordinary.



ADVISE TO YOUNG ARTISTS.
Believe and you will achieve, never say never, all your hard work will all pay off some day. Never aim for fame, never create a project for appreciation, work from your heart and you will truly succeed.


http://naomijames.carbonmade.com

No comments:

Post a Comment