Thursday

J.Erika Interviews Artist Friends


WHATS YOUR NAME AND WHERE ARE YOU FROM?
Kiboko Hachiyon, I'm from nair-okyo...the former in real life, the latter in my minds eye.

DEFINE YOURSELF IN 5 WORDS.
thinker, observant, wacky, optimist, samurai.

WHATS YOUR ART HUSTLE?
Illustration

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN making ART?
From as long as I can remember, from the he-man days lol. Where I grew up it was more improvising and coming up with alternative ways and tools of self expression. My fondest memories were drawing characters on walls with charcoal and having to wash them off before your parents came back from work at 6, tagging your name on aloe-vera style plants using its own thorns, and when it dried out it formed a scar like design on the leaf and going crazy on your school desk with razor blades, biros and fountain pens, like the miseducation of lauryn hill album artwork. Practice, continuity, encounters, trial and error, and globe trotting has led to work created in sketchbooks, anything becoming a canvas and I still draw and paint on walls

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO CREATIVELY? TELL ME WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING ON.
Recently completed a mural with the Ifreecans Collective and guest artists at Camden Stables Market, best start to the year. Also working on new summer merchandise designs for the Ifreecans Collective shop in the form of tees, stickers, postcards, screenprints, posters and flyers. A collaborative comic blog is in the works, out end of April, should be making an appearance at streetfest and working on roughs for a restaurant mural commission.



ARE THERE ANY PLACES, EXHIBITIONS, SHOWS, GIGS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TO THAT HAVE INFLUENCED YOU CREATIVELY, OR ANY YOU JUST REALLY LIKED?
I was in Japan and Berlin recently, these two places fed me a lot of ideas and have become an inspiration in my new work. Checked out an exhibition at the new lazarides gallery... featured work by two of my favorite artists David Choe and Mode 2...these two artists helped me transform and fine tune my work in regards to character design and use of colour...it was good seeing their work live. Went to see Mos Def....need I say more. The place that I go nowadays to get moved/inspired is the basement in Camden where we did the mural...24 artists contributed to this project...its like Camdens hidden secret...theres something down there that just moves me, the memories of jamming and creating the pieces are still fresh.

WHERE/WHO DO YOU DRAW YOUR INSPIRATION FROM?
People, encounters, stories, Japan, Africa, anyone artistic, music, design, seasons, conversations, memories, patterns, textures



WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT WHAT YOU DO?

Freedom to be me, to say yes or no, to choose to stay or go. Meeting people, I have met a wide variety of people from different places and cultures and have found common ground be it creatively or otherwise, I have gained so much from such encounters. My work gives me a passport to the world and an identity into any creative landscape. I have been fortunate enough to have met, collaborated and worked with some of the most talented people I know.

Be sure to keep up with Kiboko's creative journey @
84thdreamchild.wordpress.com
Ifreecanscollective.Wordpress.com
hadithi-hadithi.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment