Sunday

J.Erika Interviews Artist Friends



That Experimental, Eighties, Eclectic ,Nineties, Inquisitive RIVAH FESEHA from South London is one cool interesting individual. An 80s/90s soul at heart treasuring Spike Lee films and Fresh Prince episodes, happily willing to slip into a scene and blend in quite well.

“It was all natural back then, it didn't matter what end of the class spectrum you were from, the clothes you wore were always expressive and free. Nothing was over thought. It was simply about going out and doing it. That's what I love!”


Music being a main factor in her life stlye Rivah is constantly rekindling her love for 90's DANCE tunes, stuff like Layo & Bushwacka and Blueboy. She is also hot on newer cats like Kid Cudi with his album 'Man On The Moon'- being on daily rotation since it first came on the scene as well as new albums from Janelle Monae and Drake.

Straight up when you first see Rivah, its all about her bangin’ style, naturally going for whatever tickles her fancy either for the right or wrong reasons.

“My mum still has some bits and pieces from way back when that I have quickly put in my possession as does my aunt, some gorgeous and some hideous.. But I adore them none the less.”

SO IS THERE A FAVE PIECE OF CLOTHING, ACCESSORY THAT SHE LOVES OR IS PROUD TO HAVE?
“My fave piece of clothing/accessory changes from time to time, At the moment it's these two headscarves I own, I guess the proper term is 'snoods'. One made from an old dress and the other made by a friend from an old pair of tye-dyed shorts. My favourite of the two is the tye- dyed scarf, simply because of it's colour, it is orange and blue, when accompanied with some matt red lippy it all works very nicely with my skin tone.”




SO WHAT IS HER ART HUSTLE?

Journalism, more specifically Music and Fashion.
“It's always been a career I've admired from quite a young age and I've always enjoyed the freedom of writing. As I grew up i somewhat drifted away from it all, but found my way back into it again. It's these past few years that I've officially 'began'.”

SO WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO CREATIVELY?

Lately I've started as a writer for Sketchbook Magazine. The great thing about it is, by adding my own ideas and little bits and pieces I'm able to project my personality into the mag, rather than it being dictated by another.

WHAT COOL THINGS HAVE YOU BEEN WORKING ON?
Last August I held a night called 'Only For The Righteous' and it was a fusion of spoken word and music, a really laid back night with good vibes. Over the past couple of weeks I've been putting together plans for another night to take place possibly at the end of September, mid October of the same nature as Only For The Righteous.

ARE THERE ANY PLACES, EXHIBITIONS, SHOWS, GIGS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TO THAT HAVE INFLUENCED YOU CREATIVELY, OR ANY YOU JUST REALLY LIKED?

The last place I went to that really struck me creatively was a night held by a Friend called 'The Poet and The Beat'. The variety and quality of talent was amazing. The subjects brought up in poems and sung in songs were really captivating and definitely made me connect with the performer.

WHERE/WHO DO YOU DRAW YOUR INSPIRATION FROM?

Old films, Old magazines, new collections, music, goings on in my life.. My father inspires me in every aspect... Him having such an open mind to everything has helped me develop into a very well rounded person. History in a general sense inspires me heavily also.


AND MOST IMPORTNATLY...WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT WHAT YOU DO?


THE FREEDOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment